Please join us for a Facilitated Book Discussion Group:
At Scarsdale Friends Meeting
6 Sundays: Fall 2017 - 2018
12:45pm – 2pm
- Sunday, Oct. 29, 2017:
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by attorney Bryan Stevenson, who made a difference by challenging injustices in the judicial system and is now trying to change the conversation about race in this country.
- Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017:
- Dreams From My Father -- Barack Obama’s very personal story.
- Sunday, Jan. 28, 2018:
- The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin’s literary classic which gave passionate voice to the emerging civil rights movement.
- Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018:
- Deep Denial: the Persistence of White Supremacy in United States History and Life by Southern minister David Billings llustrates how this hurts us and how this can be changed.
- Sunday, Mar. 25, 2018:
- Between the World and Me -- an emotional letter from noted journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates to his 14-year old son on what it means to be black in America.
- Apr. 22, 2018:
- The New Trail of Tears: How Washington is Destroying American Indians -- An important investigative book by NY Post columnist Naomi Schaefer Riley.
By our discussion of writings on Race in America, we propose to deepen our understanding of where we have been as a country and the contribution of the past to where we are today. By our shared inquiry we hope to discern how as individuals, communities and a nation we can move forward to where we would like to be.
Come at 11am to worship with us or come after 12 noon and join our Social Hour.
For more information: contact Carol Wilkinson or call (914) 472-1807 and leave a message